Athletic Leadership 9-12
Location: Gym, Weight Room, Outside Fields, Various locations in and around Victoria
Athletic Leadership is a course designed for students with an interest in school sports. If you are a student-athlete, a coach, a team manager, or a team trainer, then this course will have something to offer you. Athletic Leadership focuses on team building and athletics through exploring a variety of indoor and outdoor environments. The activities chosen in this class are highly co-operative and often competitive. The success of this course relies on the participation and attitude of each student working hard and approaching all activities with an open mind.
In addition to exploring a variety of lead-up games and sporting activities, students will be required to:
- develop an individualized training plan to reflect their personal fitness goals.
- work cooperatively to develop their own game in a “Game Making” Unit.
- volunteer a minimum of 20 hours (junior) or 30 hours (senior) in our school and community athletics programs.
- learn basic sports first aid such as taping various joints.
- develop a facility safety plan for hosting events in our school gym.
- learn CPR and the use of an AED.
- organize, fundraise, and run a sporting event (tournament) in our gym as a culminating activity. Ex. – The Annual FIRE Basketball Tournament or the Annual Esquimalt Elementary Schools Basketball Jamboree.