The role of Staff Committee is explained in the following clauses in the current Local Collective Agreement between
Board of Education, School District #61 (Greater Victoria) / British Columbia Public School Employers’ Association
Greater Victoria Teachers’ Association / British Columbia Teachers’ Federation
There shall be established in each school by September 30 of each school year, a Staff Committee. This committee shall operate without derogating from the duties and authority vested in the school’s Principal/Vice Principals pursuant to the School Act and School Act Regulations, and shall not abrogate the provisions of the collective agreement or the policies of the Board.
The composition of the committee shall be determined by the teaching staff but shall include at least one Principal or Vice Principal of the school. The committee may also include other than teaching staff members if the committee deems their inclusion appropriate.
The committee shall have the right to provide advice and/or recommendations to the Principal/Vice Principals and to consider aspects of school operation, including the following:
a. School regulations, policies and routines.
b. School educational philosophy and policy.
c. Non-instructional days.
e. School planning.
f. Evaluation and reporting.
g. School timetable and organization.
h. Professional development activities of teachers.
i. Timing and nature of informal student reports.
j. Timing of formal student reports.
In order to assist in the undertaking of the above, the committee:
a. Will have access to:
i. all relevant information necessary for development of educationally sound recommendations, and
ii. all school level budget and financial information.
b. Will hold regular meetings throughout the year, with agendas published in advance and minutes recorded and circulated.
c. Will function according to procedures approved by the majority vote of the committee members.
Should the school administration fail to implement recommendations of the school staff committee, reasons shall be provided to the committee. The committee may forward a copy of the recommendation to the Superintendent who will investigate the matter and respond in writing to the committee.
Staff Committee Members (2023-2024)
- Ken Henderson — Chair — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve a second two year term, starting 2022-2023.
- Cheryl Nigh — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve a second two year term, starting 2022-2023.
- Geoff Orme — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve a first two year term, starting 2022-2023
- Jessica Robertson — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve a first two year term, starting 2022-2023
- Laurence Jensen — Acclaimed in June 2023 to serve a first two year term, starting 2023-2024
- Tim Zemanek — Acclaimed in June 2023 to serve second year of Aaron Witzke’s first two year term that started 2022-2023
- Ally Hoffman — Acclaimed in June 2023 to serve a first two year term, starting 2023-2024
- Deb Atchison — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve a first two year term, starting 2022-2023
- Julia Flagg — Staff Representative.