The role of Staff Committee is explained in the following clauses in the current Local Collective Agreement between
Board of Education, School District #61 (Greater Victoria) / British Columbia Public School Employers’ Association
Greater Victoria Teachers’ Association / British Columbia Teachers’ Federation
There shall be established in each school by September 30 of each school year, a Staff Committee. This committee shall operate without derogating from the duties and authority vested in the school’s Principal/Vice Principals pursuant to the School Act and School Act Regulations, and shall not abrogate the provisions of the collective agreement or the policies of the Board.
The composition of the committee shall be determined by the teaching staff but shall include at least one Principal or Vice Principal of the school. The committee may also include other than teaching staff members if the committee deems their inclusion appropriate.
The committee shall have the right to provide advice and/or recommendations to the Principal/Vice Principals and to consider aspects of school operation, including the following:
a. School regulations, policies and routines.
b. School educational philosophy and policy.
c. Non-instructional days.
e. School planning.
f. Evaluation and reporting.
g. School timetable and organization.
h. Professional development activities of teachers.
i. Timing and nature of informal student reports.
j. Timing of formal student reports.
In order to assist in the undertaking of the above, the committee:
a. Will have access to:
i. all relevant information necessary for development of educationally sound recommendations, and
ii. all school level budget and financial information.
b. Will hold regular meetings throughout the year, with agendas published in advance and minutes recorded and circulated.
c. Will function according to procedures approved by the majority vote of the committee members.
Should the school administration fail to implement recommendations of the school staff committee, reasons shall be provided to the committee. The committee may forward a copy of the recommendation to the Superintendent who will investigate the matter and respond in writing to the committee.
Staff Committee Members (2022-2023)
- Ange Coutts — Chair — 2022-2023 will be her second year of a two-year term
- Aaron Witzke — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve two years, starting 2022-2023
- Cheryl Nigh — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve another two years, starting 2022-2023. According to our constitution, Cheryl will not be eligible to run again for the 2024-2025 school year.
- Geoff Orme — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve two years, starting 2022-2023
- Jessica Robertson — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve two years, starting 2022-2023
- Jon Schneider — Acclaimed in June 2022 to finish up Rachel Trebilco’s term; over at the end of June 2023
- Ken Henderson — Acclaimed in June 2022 to serve another two years, starting 2022-2023. According to our constitution, Ken will not be eligible to run again for the 2024-2025 school year.
- Tim Zemanek — Acclaimed in June 2022 to cover semester 1 of Deb Atchison’s term. Tim finishes in February 2023 when Deb returns to do semester 2. Deb’s term on Staff Committee will end in June 2023.
- Julia Flagg — Staff Representative.