School District #61 has school policy and regulations regarding volunteer drivers. The district is committed to ensuring student safety. With this in mind, drivers who are volunteering to drive any child other than their own will be required to complete the following process, which includes a Criminal Record Check (CRC) and Driver’s Abstract.
Submitting documentation for the Volunteer Drivers process is required annually. The Criminal Record Check is only required once every five years, so if you have completed this process at a previous school in SD61 within the last five years, you can submit this information to our Main Office.
To be eligible to drive students from Esquimalt High during a school activity, including sporting events, please complete the following annually:
- Volunteer Drivers Form: Complete Volunteer-Driver-Forms and bring in a copy of your Driver’s License and insurance to the school office.
- Driver’s License: Submit a copy of the front and back of your Driver’s License
- Auto Insurance: Submit a copy of your current Auto Insurance for the vehicle that will be used to transport students. It needs to have $2,000,000 in third-party liability insurance.
- Drivers Abstract: You can obtain a copy of your driver’s record by visiting the ICBC. Once you receive your Driver’s Abstract in the mail, please bring it to the school office.
- Abstract can be obtained at https://icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/Pages/Your-driving-record.aspx Choose the “Personal Driving Record” option and have the Abstract emailed to: email@example.com
- Criminal Record Check: Apply online for a Criminal Record Check. Your Criminal Record Check will be sent directly to the school.
- Activate your BC Services Card if you have not previously done so. The BC Services Card replaced the BC CareCard and is now used to access various government services online, including the criminal record check identity verification. Cards can be activated at the following link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/government-id/bc-services-card/
- Complete the criminal record check application at: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/criminalrecordcheck using the Access Code: 27PRVTXST3 . Please indicate you are volunteering with children. There should be no cost for the criminal record check.
Criminal Record Check applicants who do not have a credit history of at least six months or have not been living in Canada for at least two years will need to get a Volunteer Driver Letter from the school office to take it to your municipal police department.
We greatly appreciate all of our volunteer drivers taking the time to complete this process. Please be assured that your personal information will be kept confidential and secure. For further information, please contact the school office.
* The Criminal Record Review Program verifies identities through an Electronic Identity Verification (EIV) process. It is important to know that the Criminal Records Review Program is not running a credit report; it is only using the EIV to verify the applicant’s identity and to make sure the personal information contained in the criminal record check form is accurate. No information from this process is retained or stored by the Criminal Record Check Program.