Location: Gym, Weight Room, Outside Fields, Various locations in and around Victoria
Potential field trips include:
- Rowing on the Gorge
- Crossfit at Taranis
- Boxing/Kickboxing at ZUMA
- Indoor climbing at Crag X
- Skating at Pearkes Arena
Fitness & Conditioning is a course open to all students having completed PE 9/10. This course may be of particular interest to all student-athletes participating on a school sports team. The focus will be on supporting and encouraging students to follow a healthy, active lifestyle path. Individual students will design and implement their training plans, and are expected to monitor and assess the effectiveness of their plans in relation to personal goals. Students will explore current trends and research in fitness including strength training, core training and flexibility, CrossFit, and sport-specific training. Basic anatomy and physiology will be covered, and proper technique and safety will be emphasized.
During this course, students will split their time between the weight room, the gymnasium, and various external locations. The weight room component will enable students to explore the effectiveness of their personal fitness programs, and the remaining components will have students engaged in sport-specific settings where they will use gameplay to learn about the importance of:
- Agility, quickness, and balance
- Regulating anxiety during play
- Interpreting successes and failures
- Strategies for building confidence
- Preventing burnout
- Sports first aid & basic anatomy
- Proper attire for each day (shorts/track pants, shirt/sweatshirt, supportive shoes, etc. )
- Please note not to bring or wear inappropriate clothing.
- Be punctual and prepared to start on time.
- Develop an individual training plan
- Keep a journal to reflect on personal fitness goals